Can you identify these beautiful plants for the photographer?


First two photos taken in Bangalore, India



Following two photos taken near Mysore, India.



Next photo taken in Santander, Spain.

If you can help with naming any of these plants, please leave a comment.

5 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Hi Bobbie! Your beautiful first flower is known as Mussaenda Dona Evangelina. Since I have two variety of Mussaenda growing in my garden and yours look familiar, so I googled at one of my favourite garden website: www.toptropicals.com and search the word 'mussaenda' under the plant catalog catergory and it resulted in many varieties including yours. Try it and you'll definitely be delighted with all the beauties there too

Jacqueline said...

Hmm...I think I can help in naming your second flower, which I recalled seeing several months ago while searching for names of my own plants at the same website mentioned earlier. It could be Albizia Julibrissin (Silk Tree Mimosa) or Calliandra Haematocephala (Blood Read Tassel Flower). Check these plants at http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/albizia_julibrissin.htm and http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/calliandra_haematocephala.htm
If these plants don't match, search the word 'Mimosa' at the same website to scroll down the two pages of varieties available to 'nail' it. Hope this helps.
:) My flower Calliandra Emarginata' (Powderpuff) is smiling there too, and it was this flower that reminded me of seeing your Mimosa!

Barbee' said...

Jacqueline, as you can see, I did delete one of the duplicate messages. Also, I'm hoping to learn how to create the hide/show for the comments on this page.

No time to work on it this morning for three college students are due here today to help with the work in the garden. It is quite strenuous work, especially on the steep bank.

I think you did identify the mimosa type flower. We can grow albizia in this region and everyone calls it mimosa because it looks so much like the yellow true mimosa. But, I'd never seen the Calliandra Haematocephala (Blood Read Tassel Flower)or Calliandra Emarginata'. Oh, your "PowderPuff" variety is so bright and pretty. It seems to say, "Look at me! Look at me!" :)I'd never seen one of the yellow mimosas, either. I'm so happy that you told me about that web site. It is a very good resource.

Well, one helper has arrieved. I must go. Thank you for all your help. This has certainly been a 'learning experience'. Until next time. B..........

Barbee' said...

The photographer said, "How neat! An amazing fountain of information from Jacqueline!" I agree.

Jacqueline said...

:) Thanks for your thanks, dear Bobbie! I'm most happy to be able to share the little that I know and doing so, I'm also learning and gaining more info/knowledge myself. This toptropicals website is truly awesome! Besides having a huge photo galary of plants in alpha listing, there's a complete alpha listing of plant botanical names too and I've managed to name many of my plants browsing through its photo galary from A-Z. Though tedious and time-consuming, it was truly a rewarding adventure to be able to name my babies and learned so much about them along the way.